The start of each year presents exponential numbers of graduates from either matric or various higher learning institutions, with deliberate intentions to kick start their careers. However, just as technology rapidly changes and expands, job seeking techniques need to be advancing at the same rate. This, not only addresses newly graduates but also experienced professionals that still use “conventional” ways of scoring the so called “dream job”.
The truth is, we now live in the digital world and those that thrive are the most creative in how they utilize technology to kick start or grow their careers. Of course, the focus on this article is HOW TO KICK START YOUR CAREER; and this should apply whether or not you are going through a career switch, remaining in your current career or you’ve just graduated and looking to literally start your career.
It goes without saying that the job market is a lethally competitive sphere.
One would then ask themselves how would you set yourself apart as an individual/candidate?
One can start by doing the following:
- Start expanding your skill set
- “Presentation: First impressions last, both online and in person.” Lesley Mathys Recruitment Specialist Projects CallForce
- Eat that frog
Have you found yourself procrastinating over difficult decisions? Being indecisive is more damaging than making a wrong decision.
- Feed the energy
Surround yourself with positive, energetic and enthusiastic people.
- “Punctuality, communication and commitment is key!
Being on time is vital. It shows you are a committed and professional individual who is dedicated and reliable. If you are going to be late or cannot make the scheduled day, it is crucial to communicate to the recruiter to show you are still interested in the position however something major may have come up but you would like to reschedule and still be given the opportunity for the position.” Shannon Crowie Recruitment Consultant CallForce
- Embrace change
Be brave enough to get out of your comfort zone and try new things, new ideas, new products, new service, new everything!
- “Be Prepared: By doing your research on the respective company you are showing the recruiter or hiring manager that you have taken the initiative to get to know the company the same way that they are willing to get to know you.” Razeya Rassool
BPO: Recruitment Team Leader CallForce
- Industry knowledge
If you want to be the industry expert, you need to be prepared to invest the time and educate yourself.
- “Make your CV Stand Out: Pay attention to spelling and structure. Make sure the information you have placed is accurate and updated. Your CV should be neat, formal, precise and informative. Remember that your CV is an extension of you and your skills. This is what will initially give interest to a recruiter to either contact you or move onto the next candidate.” Fumi Soko Recruitment Consultant CallForce
Seeking employment is never an easy task but the trick should be persistence because some are likely to be open minded.
One thing to remember is that you’re not alone, there are lots of people who’ve struggled with job searches and staying motivated but have pushed through and found the job of their dreams.
“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan press on has solved and will always solve the problems of the human race.” Calvin Coolidge
Hopefully this article has inspired you, on how to KICK START YOUR CAREER IN 2019.